10th Aniversary Necromancy!

In April 2006 AniOnline was created and then slowly died off. Join us as we mourn the loss of AniOnline on it's 10th anniversary.
Forum rules
AniOnline is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental. Any names or identities that may reference real people are purely fictional or exaggerated.

The content of this story is intended for mature audiences. Some themes and elements may not be suitable for everyone. Viewer discretion is advised.
./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=337&sid=0fd26883df5ea16e10d17935d9621e71
Ghost

The ghost has been taking its sweet time climbing the floors. Its only concern is that whoever is down here leaves. Climbing the last few floors was just to make sure they were gone, but since it could hear screaming from upstairs that must not be the case.

The ghost makes it to the last hallway. Directly in front of it is the entrance to the subway station, and a very unhappy James Fadbury. The door to the station has been closed behind him.

[NPC] JimThat nightmare we saw... Your nightmare... How many times did something like that happen? How many times were you manipulated? Exploited? Lied to? Treated like you weren't even a person? How many?

It would be easier to count all the times that didn't happen.

[NPC] JimDo you have a minute? There's something I'd like you to see.

Jim pulls out a wand from his coat. The Ghost jumps back as if reacting to something only it can see.

[NPC] JimThere, you've just seen the slightly unabridged version of my history. All the people that I've ever traveled with, all the friends I've made, and all the people I've let down.

All those people have been hurt or irreversibly changed because I was around them. I bring them with me to explore the wonders of the world, and in doing so I expose them to the dangers of it. I know I can't always protect them, yet again and again I seek them out. I bet you're wondering, "Why doesn't he stop?"

[NPC] JimIt's because I'm selfish. Because I'm lonely. Three hundred years and hardly anything to spend them on. I've changed job classes and picked up new fields of study just to occupy my time, but it always feels empty because I have no one to share it with. Sometimes I wonder if it's better to be alone if it means sparing them. Even my own granddaughter wasn't safe. I had to let her go or who knows what would have happened.

Why are you showing me this?

[NPC] JimBecause I want to ask you something.

[NPC] JimIs it better to be alone? Is the slightest chance at having friends not worth the risk of trusting someone?

Not always.

[NPC] JimAnd what are the exceptions?

If they don't have the power to hurt you, then they are your friend.

[NPC] JimIs there a power dynamic in healthy relationships then?

People are inherently selfish. You said so yourself. You only make friends because you have something to gain from them. You're lonely. If you didn't feel that way you would have no need for friends.

[NPC] JimAnd you don't feel that way?

Come on Helvetica, you know that's not true.

Listen. My friend Risky is a time traveler. He can take you to the most desolate part of history: The distant past where life has yet to crawl out from the dirt or the remote future where the world is a barren wasteland where everything has died off. Just give him the word and he can take you wherever you want to go. No one will ever bother you again.

But that's not what you really want, is it?

[NPC] JimYou want the life that you've been wrongly cheated out of. Robbed from you. The life you deserve. The life everyone deserves.

You want to be able to trust people again. Am I right?

You are not wrong.

[NPC] JimWell I've got nothing to hide. Do you trust me?

Post » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:23 am

Do I trust Jim?

[NPC] Helvetica rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 13

[NPC] Helvetica

The door to the basement flies open. Black smoke permeates from the hallway downstairs.

[NPC] AmyEverybody get ready!!!

A humanoid figure steps out from the door.

[NPC] JimWait wait wait! It's okay! Everything's fine! There will be no epic battle tonight! I talked with the ghost and we reached a peaceful agreement.

[NPC] Amy......

Oh... but what about our plan?

[NPC] JimDon't need it! Nobody has to fight so we don't have to capture the ghost!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritBut... you mean... that's it?

[NPC] JimThat's it!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritJust like that?... No epic boss battle?

[NPC] JimNo epic boss battle! Cheers for pacifism!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritI... guess I'm okay with that... What about the ghost though? Is it okay with us now?

[NPC] JimAh, right. Didn't think about that. She trusts me, but I'm not sure about the rest of you.

Post » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 pm

[NPC] Helvetica
You go away!

[NPC] Yellow Spirit......I-Is that the ghost?

[NPC] JimThis is Helvetica. We met a few months ago. Couple of years in my time period.

Hey mister leave this place! It's a scary place... here!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritYou sure she's the ghost? She seems kinda... well, you know... kinda juvenile.

[NPC] JimAwww, people fluctuate back and forth between serious and juvenile! That's just your brain trying to make sense of the world and redecorating accordingly. Humans just don't live long enough to really experience it more than once or twice.

This right now is my fifth cycle... No, fourth... No, wait, fifth again.

I'm haunting yooouuuu! Yeah you! I'm gonna haunt you! until the end! Unless you leave! You gotta run faaaaar from here!

[NPC] JimDon't worry! Don't worry! This is Risky. He's the time traveler I was talking about earlier. Remember?

Oooooh...

Hey excuse me do you think I'm pretty scary?

[NPC] JimVery scary, Helvetica. We were all absolutely terrified.

[NPC] JimOh right, what did you all do with Lewis?

Post » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:21 pm

Did I ever get away from Jim's dog in the last few minutes?

[NPC] Lewis rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 14

./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=301&sid=0fd26883df5ea16e10d17935d9621e71
[NPC] Lewis

Lewis got Goldie off of him by throwing his cricket back across the station and tempting Goldie to go fetch it. He's pointing his gun directly at Jim, but he's only using it as a threat. Lewis only has one bullet left and doesn't want to waste it.

Samantha tries to escape to the Mirror World using a puddle around Diana where the ice melted, but there's not enough water to make the portal big enough. She tries to squeeze through, but only her arm fits.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWhat do we do about them? I'm okay with them staying down here as long as they don't cause any trouble and get along with the other guests.

[NPC] JimEasier said than done. Even when they were alive they weren't exactly kid-friendly.

[NPC] AmyI think the question is if they're willing to share the underground or not.

[NPC] JimHEY! YOU ALL OKAY WITH SHARING THIS PLACE WITH A BUNCH OF STRANGERS?... PRESENT COMPANY EXCLUDED?

YOU WANT ME TO BLOW YOUR DAMN BRAINS OUT, FADBURY?!

[NPC] JimOKAY JUST ASKING.

[NPC] SamanthaH-How come they're not attacking us?!

Ever heard of animals playing with their food? Listen Sam, we're in deep shit if you can't get us into your Mirror World.

[NPC] JimOh for the love of-

IF I WANTED TO KICK YOU OUT I WOULD HAVE DONE SO ALREADY! NOW QUIT BEING SUCH A LOON AND PUT THE GUN DOWN, YOU'RE EMBARRASSING YOURSELF!

Post » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:28 pm

./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=190&sid=0fd26883df5ea16e10d17935d9621e71
[NPC] Ai
What do you think you're doing?

I've received complaints that someone's been setting off explosives downstairs. Was that you?!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritThey did it.

Risky points to Lewis and Sam.

Ai takes one look at them. Her expression goes from shock to absolute fury.

OH HELL NO!

Risky, you get those two out of this park! They are not welcome in my event at all!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWow geez, harsh much? What did they do?

WHAT DID THEY DO?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

Here. Newspaper. Read it.

Risky reads the newspaper. It's dated April 16, 2006.

"Event Manager Bugsy Lepus Murdered"

"Lovable event manager Bugsy Lepus was found mortally wounded last night. He was taken to Saint Ajna's Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. Police investigation points to the possibility of a murder with evidence linking to a group of four calling themselves "The Zombie Gang." The Zombie Gang is suspected to be linked with the Organized Crime Division, the Little City mafia, whom police believe placed a hit on Mr. Lepus."

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWh-What the hell?!

Yeah. They can't stay here. If Naru finds out they're in the park along with her, it'll be a bloodbath.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritW-Wait, but they haven't done any of this yet!

But they will! It's right here in the newspaper!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWe don't know if this is the whole truth though!

As far as Naru is concerned, it is the truth. Even if I wanted them in here, I can't hide them from her. They've got to go.

YOU HEAR THAT?! IF YOU DON'T WANT TO DIE, GRAB YOUR THINGS AND GET THE HELL OUT OF THIS PARK!

[NPC] LewisYOU'LL TAKE THIS HIDEOUT FROM ME WHEN YOU PRY IT FROM MY COLD, DEAD HANDS!

Post » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:11 pm

I'd like to negotiate with Lewis using his preferred method of communication, if you know what I mean.

[NPC] Ai rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 6

./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=190&sid=0fd26883df5ea16e10d17935d9621e71
[NPC] Ai

Ai fires her Rollback Magnum directly past Lewis's head.

Get. Out.

[NPC] JimWHOA! HEY! HEY! Let's not try and kill each other, okay?! For Pete sake we just avoided a fight! We don't need to end this night with more bloodshed!

I wasn't trying to kill him! It would have caused a Paradox if I did! I just want to throw him out of the park so Naru doesn't try and kill him!

[NPC] LewisYou- You- You-

Lewis looks at the lone gun in his hand. He's outnumbered with one bullet remaining and no way back into Sam's Mirror World.

But in that very moment, Lewis has an idea. A balls to the wall crazy idea, but the best possible idea he could have come up with.

Post » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:17 pm

I'm using my very last bullet on myself.

[NPC] Lewis rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 10

[NPC] Lewis

Lewis fires his own gun at himself. The bullet catches on the inside of his bullet-proof jacket and falls out from behind his coat.

He falls down, clutching his sides in pain. Blood pools out from the wound he made across the subway floor.

[NPC] AiWHOA WHAT THE HELL!?

*cough* *cough*

Sh-shit that hurt!
[NPC] SamanthaWHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR?!

Hahahahahahaha...

What did I tell you, Sam? I think better under pressure.

Sam notices Lewis's reflection in the puddle of blood under him, and uses it to make a portal to her mirror world. Lewis sinks through the portal while grabbing onto Diana and dragging her in with him. Finally, Sam hops in and closes the portal behind her.

Lewis, Sam and Diana are back in the Mirror World. Everyone's clothes are ruined. Lewis is barely able to stand from his injuries. He's lost a lot of blood, but a Zombie won't die from blood loss. He might become a bit mindless and start craving brains, but he won't die.

Th-That was a close one...
...but damn... didn't think things would get that desperate...

Can't believe we lost the underground... I'm gonna ****ing kill Fadbury for that...

[NPC] SamanthaWe still have my Mirror World.

Yeah I guess...

[NPC] SamanthaAh that's right! Alex is still in here!

AW ****!!! I FORGOT! We don't even have your Mirror World! Damnit Sam you had one job!

[NPC] Blue SpiritDon't throw me out just yet. You two look like you could use some help.

You got some nerve coming here, asshole! Sam told me everything!

[NPC] Blue SpiritAre you talking about our new recruit?

[NPC] RobinDo you two need like medical attention or something?

[NPC] Blue SpiritSam, could you get some supplies from the infirmary? There should be plenty of metal tables for you to reach through. Grab some surgical sutures and anything else you may need. Robin and I can carry Diana and Lewis there.

GO EAT A DICK! We don't accept help from traitors!

[NPC] Blue SpiritHow exactly did I betray you?

The f- YOU HAD ANOTHER GUY SNEAK IN HERE YOU DIDN'T TELL US ABOUT!

[NPC] Blue SpiritSorry, I forgot to mention that. Did you find the ghost?

**** THE ****ING GHOST FOR A MINUTE! WE JUST LOST OUR HIDEOUT BECAUSE OF YOUR FRIENDS! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY FOR YOURSELF?!

[NPC] Blue SpiritUm... I'm sorry?

Lewis tries to shoot Alex, but he's all out of bullets. The *click* from the gun goes off several times as Lewis pulls the trigger in frustration before throwing it on the ground in anger.

SAM! KICK THESE BACK-STABBING, PRIVATE-SHCOOL GOING RATS OUT OF HERE!

[NPC] RobinNo, we need this place.

TOO ****ING BAD! SHOULD HAVE THOUGHT ABOUT THAT BEFORE TRYING TO PULL A FAST ONE ON US!

Lewis is grabbing Robin by her collar. What's Robin going to do?

Post » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 pm

I'd like to teach Lewis what it means to really fear death and break out some of my repressed Reaper powers.

[NPC] Robin rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 19

./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=72&sid=0fd26883df5ea16e10d17935d9621e71
[NPC] Robin

Lewis grabs Robin by her collar to try and intimidate her... but as soon as he does a powerful chill goes down his spine. Lewis immediately lets go of Robin and slowly backs away. Robin's expression barely changes from her tired, apathetic look, but Lewis fears he might have just antagonized the wrong person.

Robin removes both of the piercings from her ear. The earrings fuse together, turning into a small nail file that Robin uses to give herself a manicure.

Lewis was it? Listen, we're friends. I got nothing against you, and there's no good reason to have anything against me, but Alex and I need this mirror world for reasons that are none of your business right now. So I'm giving you a choice.

We can all get along as members of your gang or whatever and help each other out...
Or I can take over and usurp you as leader, which I really don't want to do.

You're not an idiot, so make the right choice.

[NPC] LewisOkay fine. You win. Just... don't kill us.

Hey, come on dude, I'm not mean. I'm looking out for my s/o too. Isn't that right, bae?

[NPC] Blue SpiritThank you, Robin. That means a lot to me.

[NPC] Blue SpiritLewis, I'm sorry to bring this up for the umpteenth time, but... the ghost... did you see it?

[NPC] LewisGeez you still on about that? The ghost wasn't real bro it was just some purple elf lady with monster hands!

[NPC] Blue SpiritYou don't say...

Is she still out there?

[NPC] LewisYeah she was talking with Fadbury last I saw... They seemed all buddy buddy for some reason. Probably another one of his bazillion of cryptid friends.

[NPC] Blue SpiritThat... is a pity...

Can you walk? Robin and I can carry Diana to the infirmary if you injuries aren't serious.

Post » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:37 pm

Oh shit that's right. I've lost a lot of blood. Am I doing alright?

[NPC] Lewis rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 3

[NPC] Lewis

Lewis collapses from blood loss.

[NPC] SamanthaLEWIS NO! NOT YOU TOO!

[NPC] Blue SpiritAh, lovely.

Robin, can you help Sam carry Diana? I can carry Lewis by myself if I drag him along with the rope he tied me in.

[NPC] RobinDeal, but we're taking them both to the second floor guest rooms. Sam, you're gonna have to stay out of the basement for a while.

[NPC] SamanthaWha? How come?

[NPC] RobinIt involves adult matters. You're too young to understand.

[NPC] SamanthaBoooo!

[NPC] RobinWhatever. It's none of your business, young lady.

[NPC] Blue SpiritOne last thing. Sam, I need you to find an electronics store and buy a few things for us. Can you do that? I've written down an address and some items I'd like you to buy.

Alex hands Samantha a note and an unmarked envelope. The envelope has close to 10,000 zenny inside in paper bills. The note reads:

304 E 5th St (should be an electronics store there)
-Anetic PDA
-ask about a cell phone jammer (sometimes called a scrambler or randomizer) buy three or more depending on how much money is left

[NPC] Blue SpiritDo you think you can get all that? The PDA is to replace the one Lewis lost, so take extra care of it. We can look for the one Diana lost later.

[NPC] SamanthaI-I don't know. I've never bought anything by myself before. I've never been in the city all by myself before either.

[NPC] RobinOh right, Alex I forgot. This Mirror World is just like the Gemini Watch Black Naru had, and Sam is probably a time traveler.

Sam, I'm going to have to come with you on your shopping trip. In fact, it's the middle of the night. The shop's closed right now. We'll do it tomorrow.

[NPC] Blue SpiritAh that's true. Forgot about that. My mind was on... other things...

[NPC] RobinBut Seriously. Alex and I need the basement to ourselves for the rest of the night. Once we fix Lewis and Diana up it's off to bed with you. You must be tired after everything that's happened.

[NPC] SamanthaNuh uh! I'm not... *yawn* tired!

[NPC] RobinHush. Even ghosts need their sleep or they'll get grumpy. Now come on. You get the feet, I'll get the...

Whoops! This arm's broken... Hmmm...
On second thought Sam, you go get the sutures. I'll take care of Diana.

Robin carries Diana upstairs with Samantha following her, leaving Alex to take care of Lewis. Alex just stands there, alone with his thoughts, for minutes on end.

Post » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:18 am

Before leaving for the infirmary with Lewis, Alex takes a quick look at the database Diana downloaded for him on his PDA.

The database is fairly dense, but Alex is only interested in one sub-category: the circle of overlords active within the Battle Verge over 20 years ago, The Circle of the Dark Ones.

Overlord Impact

Born: Unknown
Race: Unknown
Threat Level: Medium

Info: Member of the Circle of the Dark Ones. An evil warlord obsessed with subjugating the Battle Verge. Needlessly cruel and impossible to control, he was ultimately killed by the Circle for going against their beliefs.

Overlord Tahoma

Born: 1869
Race: High Elf (Zombie)
Threat Level: None

Info: Member of the Circle of the Dark Ones. Once the Private Advisor of the Royal Elven Family. Along with their contempt for the Elven Royals, Elven Revolutionaries demonized her for her vices and executed her under the penalty of political domination, treason, and accusations of witchcraft. She was resurrected as a Zombie by the Circle and joined their ranks, but was not violent nor evil as the Elven kingdom claimed her to be. She resigned from the Circle after a confrontation with The Amaterasu.

Overlord Verdana

Info: Member of the Circle of the Dark Ones. A Noble Demon who actually has a kid somewhere in the world. Does the Circle's dirty work because he believes life is tough and suffering builds character. Affably evil, but not faux affably evil. Acts like a dad that wants to be your friend, but not afraid to be stern if needed.

His kid was orphaned and became one of the founding members of The Unknown.

Overlord Serif

Born: c. 2500 B.C.E.
Race: Human (Zymalian)

Info: Member of the Circle of the Dark Ones. Eye witness accounts claim they were of very small stature. Abilities are unknown, as they were rarely involved in the Circle's activities.

Overlord Courier

Born: 1902
Race: Marionette
Threat Level: High

Info: Mad Scientist of the Circle of the Dark Ones. A Marionette created by the Puppet Master. He was able to create sentient mannequins to serve as his personal army. His experiments were used against him and he was transformed into a sentient piece of equipment. He made a brief return in 2004, but was ultimately killed by the combined efforts of the Amaterasu and The Unknown.

Overlord Garamond

Born: 1827
Race: Onii
Threat Level: Very High

Info: Evil Overlord and Second in command of the Circle of the Dark Ones. Sealed inside a sword by the Amaterasu in 1988. Regained his physical form in January 2004. Defeated by Naru Matsuri and Zarath Albaran.

Overlord Helvetica

Threat Level: Very High

Info: Evil Overlord and Leader of the Circle of the Dark Ones. Known powers include Mastery of Illusions and Fear Manipulation. Last seen in the Battle Verge attempting to build a portal to the Gemini World. She was successful, and is presumed to still be trapped in that dimension.

Enemies Defeated: 1
Loot Gained: None
Zenny won: 1000 zenny
Exp Earned:

Jim gained 1000 exp!
Amy gained 3000 exp!
Marvin gained 8000 exp!
Goldie gained 2000 exp!
Risky gained 2000 exp!
Lewis gained 2000 exp!
Diana gained 2000 exp!
Samantha gained 500 exp!