10th Aniversary Necromancy!

In April 2006 AniOnline was created and then slowly died off. Join us as we mourn the loss of AniOnline on it's 10th anniversary.
Forum rules
AniOnline is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of the author’s imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual events or locales or persons, living or dead, is entirely coincidental. Any names or identities that may reference real people are purely fictional or exaggerated.

The content of this story is intended for mature audiences. Some themes and elements may not be suitable for everyone. Viewer discretion is advised.
./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=58&sid=d249545cb6c09b32725476dddbc1589f
[NPC] Jim

Jim, Risky and Goldie have discovered the abandoned subway station beneath the mansion, used by Freedom Fighter Agents in the 1980s. After the Justice Core was instated, the Freedom Fighter Syndicate moved their headquarters to the mainland and became the Justice Core Headquarters, closing down the station and leaving the old facility abandoned. The station is covered in decade-old posters. The trash bins are filled with thrown-away newspapers and artifacts from a bygone era, untouched after all this time. A single Mage Lamp that no one bothered to uninstall is all that illuminates the station. All the electricity that went down here has long been shut off.

Jim, Risky and Goldie are free to explore the station until Alex sends them a map of the basement.

Ha ha! I remember this!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritYou've been down here before?

Once or twice. When you're as old as I am you've been just about everywhere. Good ol' FFS had me investigate a few things when I was feeling up to it. I didn't 100% agree with all their decisions, but someone's got to make sure they're not getting into trouble, sticking their noses where they don't belong, as you do. Did I ever mention how I almost became a founding member? Turned them down, of course.

[NPC] GoldieHow come?

Well at the time they didn't think too kindly of Reflections, and they weren't very subtle about it either. So I wanted nothing to do with them.

Oh, uh, but they've gotten better... somewhat... It really depends on who's in charge.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWait...

You're talking about the Mage Wars, aren't you? Didn't the war begin back in the 1920's... or somewhere around there?

That it did.

[NPC] Yellow Spirit...And you were there for it?

Aaaah, I bet you're curious about how old I am, aren't you?

[NPC] Yellow SpiritN-No. Dad said it's rude to ask someone their age.

Well, hypothetically speaking, if you were curious and didn't mind asking, I would say that I'm abouuuuuuut...

Jim is counting the fingers on his hand to figure out his age.

Three-hundred seventy six!

...Or was it Three-hundred and eighty six? Eh, somewhere between there.

[NPC] Yellow Spirit......You sure you're remembering that right?

Oi! I try very hard to remember my own age! As a matter of fact I make sure to count every single one of my birthdays, and I have whoever's with me at the time help me remember too!

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:41 am

./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=182&sid=d249545cb6c09b32725476dddbc1589f
[NPC] Goldie
Goldie is seventeen!!!

No, Goldie. You're eighteen.

Nope! Goldie is seventeen!

Eighteen.

Seventeeeeen!

Okay, Goldie, Listen. You've been bare-ass naked for the good first half of the last episode, and people are going to be uncomfortable with a minor running around blissfully ignorant of public decency. For the sake of the few 21st century western morals that this story hasn't broken yet, you are, and have always been eighteen years old.

Okayz! Goldie is eighteen!!!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWait, you're eighteen now? Which is it Goldie? Seventeen or eighteen?

Actually, better make it nineteen just to be safe.

Goldie is nineteen!!!!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWait, if you're nineteen, then wouldn't you be in college?

Colleg?

[NPC] JimHe means University, Goldie. University is like school for adults. You're probably old enough to enrol now, actually. You could learn to be anything you want: An artist, an archaeologist, an athlete, and other careers that also start with A. I could help you enrol in Lundine U if you want. Its a big responsibility though.

Okayz! Goldie go to colleg and make u PUROUD!

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:51 am

./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=302&sid=d249545cb6c09b32725476dddbc1589f
[NPC] Diana

Meanwhile, Diana is using Alex's credentials to log into the Freedom Fighter Syndicate's private database.

Alright, I'm in.

[NPC] Blue SpiritAre you sure you don't need me out there for tech support?

Just tell me what I have to do in case something comes up.

[NPC] Blue SpiritThat sounds extremely cumbersome.

Done. I got us another map of this place.

[NPC] Blue SpiritDon't forget the database I requested.

Yeah yeah I'm on it.

......There. I copied your database over.

[NPC] LewisAlright, let's get to the good stuff already! Tell me the secret identities of the Justice Core!

Alright... lemme see...

Got one. Vinny Vine. Real name: Vincet del Mata

[NPC] LewisWh- Diana! Everyone knows who Vinny Vine is! Tell me about the other Justice Core members!

Geez sorry I didn't know. I don't pay attention to the news.

[NPC] LewisThis happened back in 92!
He blew the whistle on one of those big phone companies even though they threatened to leak his identity. It was a big deal!

What the hell?! It logged me out!
Alex, your password isn't working anymore!

[NPC] Blue SpiritI was afraid of this...

[NPC] LewisAfraid of what?

[NPC] Blue SpiritI've been dead for well over a decade. My account has been inactive the entire time. When the FFS notices my account suddenly becomes active again, what are they going to think?

...Shit. You mean they think someone else hacked it?

[NPC] Blue SpiritAfraid so. They've got bots monitoring their servers twenty-four seven. I'm surprised we managed to stay logged in as long as we did.

[NPC] LewisYOU GOTTA BE-
AAAUUUUGHHH WHATEVER! I don't even care anymore! Just hurry up and bail before someone finds you two.

In a minute. I'm mailing Jim the map I downloaded.

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:13 am

./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=70&sid=d249545cb6c09b32725476dddbc1589f
[NPC] Yellow Spirit
So... Three hundred and eighty something...

You know that's waaaaay more than the average human lifespan, right? Way more than an elven lifespan now that I think about it.

[NPC] JimA very good point.

Oh! Wait! I got it! You're a valkyrie, right? Dad told me they can live up to 500 years.

[NPC] JimAh, nice try but incorrect.

Jim takes off his coat briefly to show a clear lack of bird wings.

Okay, a Reflection then. I'm pretty sure they can't age either.

[NPC] JimAh but those didn't exist before the 20th century.

Okay I give up. What's the answer?

[NPC] JimDunno.

You... you don't know?

[NPC] Jim'Fraid not. It's one of the few mysteries I was never able to solve. Not even sure how long I'll live.

Risky receives another email. Attached is a digital map of the basement. The map shows a single door leading downstairs.

Jim, I found the door. This should lead downstairs, and whatever it is we're suppose to be hunting.

The door is rusted over after years of not being used, but with a little effort Jim is able to open it. The floor downstairs is completely dark. Jim removes a torch from his coat, briefly turning to Risky with the light held under his face.

[NPC] JimWooooooo~

Jim, Risky and Goldie head down to the second floor of the basement.

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:14 am

First time down here in a very long time. What do we find?

[NPC] Jim rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 12

[NPC] Jim

Jim finds a light switch right next to the door as he opens it. He turns it on, illuminating a very long hallway. At the very end is what looks like a lift, most likely inoperable. The hallway also branches off to the left and right some distance away. Finally, there's a handful of doors on both sides leading to who knows where.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritThe map says there's a staircase leading down to the lowest floor if we take the next hallway to our left.

Then that's where we're off to!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritAny ideas on how we're gonna kill this Samantha person?

What?! What no! We're not gonna kill anybody!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritB-But she murdered me, didn't she?! She's super dangerous!

She doesn't have to be! We don't know if she murdered anybody else either! We're just going to talk things out and see if we can get her to not be so bloodthirsty is all! Always with the killing with you people! Shoot first and ask questions later. Nobody ever wants to just... talk anymore! They just keep telling themselves the scary monster they murdered that nobody knew anything about was obviously evil so they'll sleep better at night!

It's this hallway, isn't it?

[NPC] Yellow Spirit......Yeah, the hallway to our left. Shouldn't we take the elevator though?

Oh no, no not after the last time. I got stuck in one of those along with six other people. One of them was possessed and killed the other five when the lights went out.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritAnd you didn't kill the one that was possessed, did you?

N-No... no I was able exorcise the evil spirit, but after what happened they...

-Point is, never go in a lift. Especially one that's in an abandoned facility, you're smart enough to know that!

As Jim is saying this, the lights go out again.

For Pete sake this faulty wiring!

Jim resorts to using his torch again, but as he's reaching for it something flies in front of his face. He panics and drops the torch, causing it to roll away from him.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritDon't worry, I got it!

Risky walks over to pick up the flashlight, but as he gets up, he shines the light on something in front of him.

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:49 am

I want to draw my Sword of Ages and stab myself with it!

[NPC] Yellow Spirit rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 17

[NPC] Yellow Spirit

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Risky draws his Sword of Ages and stabs himself with it. His body becomes 170 years older in a split second, though because he's undead nothing appears to have happened.

[NPC] JimRisky what is that?!

TIME EATER! IT'S A TIME EATER!!!!!
WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T LET IT BITE YOU! IT'LL EAT PART OF YOUR HISTORY!

The Time Eater vanishes.

Risky passes a pair of Paradox Bandits to Jim and Goldie.

P-Put those on! They'll make it so your memories don't get eaten with your history. Jim, you're the oldest among us. Do everything you can to keep Goldie from being eaten by that thing. If she does get eaten, and we can't fish out her eaten history in time, she'll cease to exist.

[NPC] GoldieHAWAWAWAWAWHAT?!?!

Yeah. We won't even remember you if that thing eats you.

Those things don't belong in this universe. I've been hunting them down across time trying to remove every last one of them from existence. They're the most terrifying things I've ever encountered. But if I'm going to kill this thing, I'll need some help.

Risky reaches into his coat for his Wayback Machine.

...but Risky's Wayback Machine is broken for some reason.

WHAT THE HELL!? WHEN DID-

...we need to get out of here.

[NPC] JimGoldie, can you can lead us back to the station?

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:33 am

USE DOG NOSE TO SEARCH FOR EXIT!!!!!!!

[NPC] Goldie rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 12

./memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=182&sid=d249545cb6c09b32725476dddbc1589f
[NPC] Goldie
UHHH... UHHH...

DIS A WAY!

Goldie uses her Lycan sense of smell to retrace the party's scent trail and lead them to the exit.

Goldie immediately stops. She hears some faint humming in the distance. The humming grows louder and louder until it's practically roaring down the hallway.

Goldie is being pulled forward by some invisible force. Desperately clawing at the rug to keep herself from being pulled in, she instinctively barks back at the terrifying creature speeding towards her.

Emerging from the hallway is a twenty foot vacuum cleaner.

ARF! FAR! ARARARARARARAFARAFARAFARAFARAF!!!!!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWHY IS A VACUUM CLEANER TRYING TO EAT US AND WHY IS IT SO BIG?!?!?

[NPC] JimTry and knock it back a few meters! If we're lucky it'll suck up its own cord!

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 am

I want to fire Ai's Rollback Magnum at the Vacuum and knock it away from us!

[NPC] Yellow Spirit rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 19

[NPC] Yellow Spirit

Risky pulls out Ai's Rollback Magnum from his coat and fires at the giant Vacuum cleaner.

The vacuum cleaner backs into its own cord and sucks it up. The base of the machine explodes from the inside out and vanishes without a trace.

The group pulls themselves to their feet, still completely surrounded in darkness.

That did it! Okay Goldie, should we keep going this way?

[NPC] GoldieN-Not that way! Goldie smells death that way! Death and...

Goldie has a look of absolute horror on her face. With her keen sense of lycan vision, she's able to see a few meters ahead of both Risky and Jim.

Goldie covers her mouth in terror as tears swell up in her eyes.

Goldie what's wrong?....

Risky notices he has one unread email. It's addressed from Amy.

[NPC] AmyWe finished the bunker! I told Marvin to guard it. I'm heading downstairs to back you guys up!

Risky uses the backlight from his PDA to shine a light in front of him. What he finds absolutely terrifies him.

There in front of him is Amy's lifeless body, shot through the head by Ai's Rollback Magnum.

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:52 am

Find Amy's old wand. Then, use it to reverse the polarity of the area.

[NPC] Jim rolled 1 20-sided dice. Results: 9

[NPC] Jim

Despite what Jim has already figured out, he is extremely distraught at seeing Amy dead in front of him. His hands won't stop shaking, making it even more difficult to find Amy's old wand. Risky is on his knees screaming in guilt and agony. Goldie is sitting in a corner crying to herself.

Eventually he finds the wand, and casts some kind of spell around the room. Jim can hear something closing in from behind them. The Time Eater from earlier has caught up to them. Risky is too upset to react. Goldie is whimpering to herself.

I want both of you to listen very carefully. I can get us out of here but I need time. Risky, keep the Time Eater busy.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritIt's all my fault. It's all my fault. It's all my fault. It's all my fault. It's all my fault.

[NPC] GoldieI wanna go home! I wanna go home!

'Ey! Enough of that! On your feet you two! Eyes on me and listen!
None of this is real!

[NPC] Yellow Spirit......huh?

This is a Fear Barrier. It's a defence mechanism used by some cryptids to scare away predators. It uses a nigh-undetectable telepathic link to rummages through the memories of anyone close by, find their most terrifying fears and bring them to life.

Risky looks at Jim, then to the Rollback Magnum in his hand. He quickly comes to his senses and realizes the gun wouldn't have killed Amy because of its primary function as a memory eraser. He turns around to find Amy's body had vanished. He's relieved, but still emotionally distraught.

Better now? We're not out of the fire just yet. Fear Barriers don't just pick out your worst fears and be done with it. They have to scan the whole mind, then filter everything out except for fear, causing a delay. The fear barrier is showing your fears first because your minds didn't take as long to filter through.

But I've got a lot more memories to read! Good, bad, and everything in between! And because I've got so many it's taking longer to find my fears! In other words, the good memories are fighting back against the bad!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritAnd what happens when it gets done?!

Hopefully I can stop it before that happens! Otherwise we'll be staring down the most terrifying things a three-hundred year old cryptozoologist and paranormal expert has ever seen!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritAre they that bad?!

Like you wouldn't believe! Also, prolonged exposure to the telepathic influence can have unpredictable effects on the subconscious! We could go mad just by standing here!

Hold on! I'm almost done!

Jim, Risky, and Goldie wake up. All three of them are strapped to operating tables.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWere the hell are we?! Jim why are we still in the Fear Barrier?!

I wasn't trying to get rid of it. I reversed the polarity. The telepathic link is a two way street and I redirected it. We're seeing the ghost's fears now.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?!

A shadowy figure walks out from the darkness.

[NPC] LectorOh my, what beautiful specimens they've brought me today. Why, you're a Lycan, aren't you?

[NPC] Goldie*whimper*

[NPC] Lector...and you must be a... Ah yes, a Dhampir if I'm not mistaken! Oh, very very nice...

[NPC] Yellow SpiritW-w-w-w-w-who the heck is this?!

[NPC] Lector......And what are you? Hmmm... I'm not entirely sure. You look like a common half-elf, but based on the blood sample we collected, it's like nothing I've ever seen before!

We'll have to examine you right away. Yes yes.
Oh, don't you worry you two. You'll get your turn. I always learn something new when I cut something open.

[NPC] Yellow SpiritWh-WHAT?! You don't mean SURGERY do you?!

A-A-Aren't you going to sedate us at least?!

[NPC] LectorWe only sedate specimens to prevent them from moving around too much. We won't need to this time. That's what the cuffs are for.

Well then... LET'S BEGIN!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritJIIIIIM????? GET US OUT OF HERE!!!!

NOT YET!

[NPC] Yellow SpiritTHE HELL DO YOU MEAN, NOT YET?!

I NEED TO KNOW, RISKY! IF I DON'T KNOW WHAT SHE WENT THROUGH I CAN'T HELP!

[NPC] LectorDon't bother screaming for help. No one would want to help a monster like you. We need to learn as much as we can from whatever it is you are, so please, do try and cooperate. The villagers would only stone you to death if they saw you. At least the knowledge we gain from an autopsy will help further future discoveries in biology. You're about to go down in history, my dear.

IS IT HIM?! DID HE DO THIS TO YOU?! WHO AM I KIDDING, OF COURSE HE DID! HE'S NO DIFFERENT THAN THE REST OF THEM! CAN BARELY TRUST THE LOT, CAN YOU?! I NOW WHAT THAT'S LIKE! I'VE SEEN IT ALL! BELIEVE ME, I HAVE! MOTIVATED BY THEIR OWN SELF-INTERESTS! DISCARDING LIVES FOR THE MOST MINUSCULE OF REWARDS! THINK THEY RUN THE WORLD BUT THE WORLD RUNS ITSELF! WE'RE JUST ALONG FOR THE RIDE! IT'S A MIRACLE THAT THERE'S ANY REDEEMING QUALITIES IN ANY OF THEM. THEY'RE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND, BUT BELIEVE ME THEY'RE THERE! BUT YOU WON'T FIND ANY IN THIS PSYCHOPATH! YOU HAVE TO LOOK ELSEWHERE! YOU HAVE TO KEEP LOOKING UNTIL YOU FIND THE ONE OUT OF A THOUSAND! THE ONE THAT REMINDS YOU THAT THIS PITIFUL EXCUSE OF A SPECIES IS STILL WORTH KEEPING AROUND! WORTH PROTECTING! WORTH FIGHTING FOR!

JUST LOOK AT ME! YOU'VE SEEN MY MEMORIES! THEY'RE ALL TIED UP IN KNOTS BUT THEY'RE ALL THE PROOF YOU NEED! I NEVER GAVE UP AND I'VE GOT A TREASURE CHEST FULL OF WINNERS!

Graphic Content Warning:

The operating room disappears. Jim, Risky and Goldie are still in the hallway. The lights are still on. The Time Eater is nowhere to be found.

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:02 am

[NPC] Yellow Spirit

Risky immediately calls Amy on his PDA.

Amy picks up.

[NPC] AmyY'ello?

AMY! My sweet Amy you're really okay!... You even knew it was me who was calling!

[NPC] AmyOooooohhh... It's yoooouuuuu....
H-Hello...

Where are you right now?! Are you alright?!

[NPC] AmyUhhh... I'm still at the library. Marvin and I have been guarding the bunker we made, remember?

...Didn't you email me saying you'd be down here to back us up?

[NPC] Amy......No? I've been working on my homework this entire time.

[NPC] JimWe're fine Amy. Keep guarding the library and call us back if anything comes up.

The call ends.

It wasn't real... Just like you said, none of it was real...
And that operating room... and the crazy doctor guy... Was that suppose to be Samantha's fear?

[NPC] JimNo, not Samantha... She might be connected to all this, but she's not the one responsible for that Fear Barrier.

[NPC] JimOh your feet Risky. We're moving to the lowest floor. Goldie, if you want to head back upstairs you're free to do so.

[NPC] GoldieGoldie wanna come too!!!

[NPC] JimAre you sure?

Goldie quickly nods her head, fists pumped in the air and tail wagging back and forth.

[NPC] JimOh very well... But I want you to wait in the wardrobe just to be safe, okay?

Goldie responds with an energetic bark and crawls inside Jim's coat.

Wait, are we looking for Samantha, or is someone else down there?

[NPC] JimSamantha's not down there. It's someone else. Someone that needs my help.

Post » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:06 am

PreviousNext

Return to 10th Aniversary